The Sunday club rides welcome new (and resurgent) riders. For everyone’s benefit and safety it is helpful to remind riders of the etiquette that should be adopted during the ride:-
- Your bike should be in a fit and proper road worthy condition.
- The club recommends that you wear a cycle helmet for your own safety.
- To avoid inconvenience of cafe proprietors and fellow riders mudguards are strongly recommended during wet and winter rides.
- Riders at the head of the group should point out, and / or verbally warn following riders of the hazard (pot holes, parked cars etc).
- Rides will stop for anyone who punctures/has a mechanical problem. Riders should stop and wait off the road to avoid creating a traffic hazard.
- Rides should be conducted no more than “two abreast” fashion, and in single file on narrow or busy roads or when riding round bends.
- Always observe the Highway Code.
- If the ride becomes “split” due to changing traffic lights, then the lead group should slow down or stop to allow the tail group to rejoin.
- Avoid responding to bad behaviour or abuse from motorists; be courteous wherever possible and do not damage the club’s good reputation.
- Inform someone in the group if you are turning back early from the ride for any reason
- Nominated rider to stay at back of group to ensure no one gets dropped on climbs, descents and at junctions.
All riders should bring with them:
- Pump, 2 or more spare inner tubes, tyre levers.
- Cash, mobile phone
- Drink and food (always bring more than you anticipate using)
- Appropriate clothing – and a waterproof in the event of rain or an enforced stop / delay
Existing club members should make newer riders aware of these guidelines by appropriate example and advice where needed.