Bridgwater Cycling Club in its current form has been around since the early 1990’s, however, there has been a cycling club in Bridgwater since 1880’s! We welcome riders of all abilities and ages both male and female. The organisation of the Club is run the Committee. We organise a Club ride every Sunday, which is typically approximately 50 miles and a shorter, steadier ride most Wednesday’s to different destinations each week: View rides. The Club holds a Dunkery Dash Audax event open to all every Spring (more info on 2016 edition).
The Club organises a Club Tour every Summer for members; previous destinations include: New Forest, Isle of Wight, South Wales, Devon and Northern France.
In addition we are now organising Club trips to Newport Velodrome (more info) We have recently redesigned our club kit using Kalas Ltd. (http://www.kalas.co.uk/). Only club members can purchase the kit. There is a full range of the kit in club colours available – jerseys, bib shorts, gillets, winter jerseys etc.
History of the Club
A Bridgwater Cycling Club has been around since at least 1881. Penny farthings were rode on the High Street in Bridgwater.
Another Bridgwater Cycling Club was formed on 25th January 1892. The headquarters was the “Admiral Blake”. Club and road rules were drawn up with the sum of 1 shilling being fixed as entrance fee 2/6d annual subscription. A large number of names were given in for membership.
Newspaper articles from 1899 reported that the cycling club was continuing to flourish. “Members of the club cycled to Goathurst and then to North Petherton where an impromptu party was head before returning to the headquarters”.
Old Bridgwater Cycling Club logo